Student Advising > Graduate > - Professional Dev.
1. Faculty of Graduate Studies -- Professional Development for Graduate Students
- The Graduate Game Plan, a step-by-step directory of advice for UBC graduate students about important issues associated with attaining academic and career success;
- Professional Development Guides which are more comprehensive references for graduate students to use in developing their strategies for academic success, career assessment, and professional skills development;
- Professional Development Workshops; and
- The Helpful Links Directory, which contains links to pertinent UBC websites as well as a comprehensive index of websites specifically focused on graduate student success, graduate student career development, and graduate student outcomes research.
2. Placement Services
Placement files are groupings of reference letters written on a student's behalf.
- Upon request, placement files are maintained by the School to assist doctoral students applying for positions in the academic world. When a student applies for positions, the file of letters is copied by our staff and sent out. Students are charged the photocopying and postage costs. Students in the latter stages of a doctoral degree should contact the Director's Secretary if they wish to establish a file. Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide this service for Master's students, due to lack of staff time.
3. Academic Positions
The following sources have information on university teaching positions. No single source has all the information you need.
- Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT)
Advertisements of positions in Canadian universities. Job seekers can browse and search all the latest ads. If you register for free, you can post your c.v. in minutes, apply for jobs on-line, and get new career ads automatically emailed to you daily. Registered users also get access to special "members only" online negotiating guides, salary statistics and career advice.
- The College Music Society
Published monthly by CMS for its members only. This is the main source for US positions. Some Canadian universities also advertise in it. You must join the CMS to view the vacancy list.
- Times Higher Education Supplement
Advertisements of university positions in the UK and in some other countries.
- University Affairs
Published monthly. Includes advertisements of positions in Canadian universities.
- Vancouver Sun
Advertisements for positions in BC community colleges.
4. Post-doctoral Fellowships
- Application deadlines are usually in the Fall of the year before the year of tenure of the fellowship.
- Information on postdoctoral fellowships is occasionally listed in CAUT, College Music Society or University Affairs listings (see above).
- SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Killam Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable at (click on links for application information):