Student Advising > BMUS > GSEM: Elementary
B.MUS. in GENERAL STUDIES: Elementary Education Stream
- Secondary Piano must be taken for two years, except if keyboard concentrator or when Minimum Achievements for 2nd year secondary piano have already been met by:
1. submitting a photocopy (or fax copy) of your Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) Grade Six (6) piano certificate (or an equivalent examining board such as Conservatory Canada) to the Music Student Advisor by August 1st (Note: only exams taken within the last four (4) years are eligible); OR,
2. by passing a secondary piano examination with a member of the keyboard division faculty – by appointment with Alice Enns (alice.enns(at)ubc.ca).
- Class Voice requirement. Students with no previous vocal instruction are required to take class voice (MUSC 131) in their fourth year. Voice concentrators, or students who have taken MUSC 131 to fulfill the secondary instrument requirement, will take 2 additional credits of Music Elective instead of MUSC 131.
- Large Ensemble: For orchestral instrument concentrators, one large ensemble, in the four years, must be a choir (153 or 154), and the remaining three will be Large Instrumental Ensemble (150).
- Music Education electives: Must be chosen in consultation with the Faculty of Education.
Steps to Self-advising -- For information only. Not to replace official advising sessions.
- a) First-year students with NO transfer credits: Review the recommended coursework by year of study to see what your first year of courses will be. Review the registration and grading guidelines.
b) All other students: Review the recommended coursework by year of study and check that you have met the degree requirements for the previous year(s) of study:
If you have, you may clearly see what your next year of courses should be; but,
If you have not, you will need to account for the missing coursework, as you plan your future years of B.Mus. study.
Review the registration and grading guidelines.
For those students with transfer credits, be sure to take them into account. If you are unsure how your credits transfer to your B.Mus. degree, contact the Music Student Advisor.
- Concert Attendance Requirement (Wednesday Noon Hour). If you are in 1st or 2nd year, review this requirement.
- Writing Requirement. Have you completed one of ASTU 150 or ENGL 100 to fulfill the Writing Requirement? If not, review the requirements.
- Transfer credits. Do you have eligible transfer credits which have not been officially transferred to UBC? If so, contact the Music Student Advisor as soon as possible.
- Dual Degree. Double majors. Minors. Are you interested in or currently enrolled in a double major or minor program(s). If yes, view the dual degree, double major or minor webpage and meet with the Student Advisor for course planning.
- Music Education. Do you have an interest in becoming an elementary or secondary school teacher? If so: review Music Education. Note: In order to be eligible for entrance into the B.Ed. program, all composition majors must meet the B.Ed. pre-requisite requirements, even if such coursework is not a required part of your B.Mus. degree.
- Review the Step 2, Additional Resources for other advising items of interest (e.g., registration drop/add dates; scholarships).
- Graduation course requirement checks, for third (3rd) and fourth (4th) year students only, are sent by e-mail from the Music Student Advisor in November.
- Questions? Contact the Music Student Advisor.