Student Advising > BMUS > - Dbl Maj, Dual Deg, Min
Double Majors, Dual Degree & Minors
B.Mus. Double Major
- A student who is exceptionally qualified may undertake two majors concurrently in the B.Mus. To graduate with a double major, a student must be admitted to the two majors by established procedures (by audition, for most majors), and must satisfy the continuation requirements of both majors each year, and must complete all course requirements for both majors. Neither of the majors may be General Studies. Application should be made to both the applicable Division Head and to the Faculty Undergraduate Advisor.
B.Mus. and Arts Double Major
- ARTS MAJOR OPTIONS
- Students enrolled in the B.Mus. program can combine their Major with a Major or Minor of the B.A. program. For successful completion of the B.A. Major, students must take at least 42 credits in a field or specialization, of which 30 must be in courses numbered 300 or above; in addition, they must fulfill all the requirements set by the Faculty of Arts department or program. For successful completion of a B.Mus. with an Honours in Mathematics, see the requirements of the Combined Honours in Mathematics and Another Subject under Mathematics in the Faculty of Arts.
- Application should be made to the School of Music Academic Advisor after admission to the B.Mus. Some programs require departmental approval, most do not.
B.Mus. Dual Degree in Music & Science
- This program offers capable students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Music and a Bachelor of Science degree in most combinations of one Music (B.Mus.) major program and one Science (B.Sc.) major program. Most combinations can be completed in six winter sessions.
- Potential B.Mus. students interested in the Dual Degree program must consult both a senior advisor in the School of Music (Dr. Alan Dodson: 604-822-5287; alan.dodson(at)ubc.ca; Room 415 Music Building) and the Science Information & Advising Centre (see http://science.ubc.ca/students/advising/office or science.advising(at)ubc.ca) at the time of application to UBC.
- Potential B.Mus. students interested in the Dual Degree program must have, on their UBC Admissions application (E-mail), the B.Sc. as their first degree choice and the BMUS as their second choice. Also, both the B.Sc. Supplementary Application and B.Mus. Supplementary Application must be completed.
- Applications to the dual degree program are accepted only after a student has reached second year standing. If an incoming student interested in the dual degree program is admitted to both the B.Sc. and B.Mus. programs, he or she should accept admission to the B.Sc., only, but inform the School of Music of his/her intent to apply for the dual degree program once he/she has reached second year standing.
- Acceptance into the program will be based on: (1) the recommendation from the School of Music, (2) a review of the applicant's transcript to determine that both the prerequisite studies and competitive admission standards of the Faculty of Science have been met, and (3) a review of a statement of academic purpose.
- Registered first- or second-year B.Mus. students may also apply to the Dual Degree program but must meet the current admission requirements of the Faculty of Science and must have met the academic standing requirements of the program while at UBC (see below). Admission to specializations within Science and Music may be competitive and admission to the Dual Degree program does not imply future admission to particular specializations.
- Admission at any time is conditional; maintenance of good academic standing and at least a B- (68%) average in each term are required throughout the program. Students must satisfy all of the degree and program requirements for both the major in the Bachelor of Music and the major in the Bachelor of Science. Individual courses may be considered to satisfy requirements for both degrees; MUSC courses may satisfy the Arts and Breadth requirements for the B.Sc. major program. MUSC courses numbered below 300 may not count toward the upper-level credit requirement for the B.Sc. program. Students should endeavour to satisfy lower-level course prerequisites for both programs in their first two years.
- Students must communicate with both an advisor in the School of Music (Dr. Alan Dodson: 604-822-5287; alan.dodson(at)ubc.ca; Room 415 Music Building) and one in the Science advising office prior to enrolling in their first year of courses and at least annually thereafter.
- B.A. Students enrolled in the B.Mus. program can combine their Major with a Major or Minor of the B.A. program. Please see this page for possible options. Contact the School of Music Student Advisor for application information. Some programs require departmental approval, most do not.
- Commerce. A very limited number of B.Mus. students may also Minor in Commerce. Eligibility is restricted as specified for the B.A. Minor in Commerce. Enrolment must also be approved by the senior Undergraduate Faculty Advisor in the School of Music -- do not complete the form for BA students at the bottom of the page. Instead, to apply, e-mail the School of Music Student Advisor by May 31st.
- Science. B.Mus. students may minor in Science -- requirements. To apply, consult with Dr. Dodson (alan.dodson(at)ubc.ca; 604-822-5287; Room 415 Music Building) for approval and course selection. Note: the minor is shown on your transcript as "Minor in Science", not in a specific field. Note: being a minor does not guarantee access to upper-level courses.