Programs and Admissions > Undergraduate > - Admission Reqts.
Applicants to the Bachelor of Music degree program must successfully meet the admission requirements of BOTH:
1. The UBC School of Music; and,
2. The University of British Columbia (UBC).
- SCHOOL OF MUSIC: Admission to the B.Mus. program is based on the School of Music faculty's assessment of a student's achievement and potential in the prospective major. An audition is required, and letters of recommendation are taken into account. Grade average achieved in previous studies and the theory entrance exam are also important factors in this assessment.
- UBC: Applicants must also be admitted by The University of British Columbia. For admission to UBC in the BMUS program: students entering UBC from secondary school must have a minimum grade point average of 70% is required; however, preference is given to students with higher grades. Transfer students from another college or university music program must have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 (C or 60%); however, preference is given to students with higher grades.
- UBC Undergraduate Admission Requirements (click on links at left)
- UBC English Language Requirement
- E-mail UBC Admissions
For September 2012 admission:
- 303 BMUS applications were received and 126 applicants accepted (102 into 1st year; 14 into 2nd year; 10 into 3rd year).
- Seventy-one of those accepted attended UBC's School of Music.
- Average GPA for accepted first-year students: 84% (ranging from 66% to 97%)
- Average GPA for accepted transfer students: 79% (ranging from 70% to 86%)