Master of Arts in ETHNOMUSICOLOGY
Link to: Ph.D. in Ethnomusicology
Ethnomusicology Division Chair: Dr. Michael Tenzer (Tel: 604-822-3405 or E-mail: michael.tenzer(at)ubc.ca)
1. Ethnomusicology Division
2. Program Information
- Pre-requisites & Curriculum
- FAQ's about Ethnomusicology at UBC
- Review Entrance (Placement) Exam requirements. These exams are administered just before the start of the Fall term.
3. Application Requirements specific to the MA in Ethnomusicology
Follow the general graduate application guidelines in How to Apply and in addition:
- Submit a maximum of two papers dealing with a topic in music that is representative of work to date.
- Submit at answer to each of the following questions (max. 300 words per question)
- a-b) What are your strengths as a musician? What would you like to work on?
- What kinds of musical activities do you especially enjoy and why?
- Describe two books or articles about music you have particularly learned from or been stimulated by
- Name some music you particularly admire and explain why.
- What draws you to music scholarship?
- A transcription exercise will be required of all applicants to the program. This exercise will become available on the Ethnomusicology website the first or second weekend after the deadline for the application; applicants will be contacted by the department with further instructions. Most students will use standard Western notation, but modified Western notation or other systems are acceptable.