From the newly renovated Old Auditorium to the Chan Center for the Performing Arts, the UBC School of Music offers a host of state-of-the-art facilities.
The School maintains an excellent collection of instruments, including 125 pianos, several important stringed instruments, a 64-rank-pipe organ by Casavant-Frères (1969) and many historical instruments including a Wolfforte-piano; a German double-manual harpsichord by Craig Tomlinson (1986); a Flemish single-manual harpsichord by Kenneth Bakeman and Robert Sickles (1979), and an Ofredus Cappa violin (1690), as well as a valuable collection of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Indian classical instruments.
The School has been the beneficiary of a magnificent gift from the Indonesian Consulate of a Gamelan ensemble (including gongs, chimes, xylophone-type instruments and drums).
The School also received two 18th Century Neapolitan violins bequeathed by the family of Mary Tierney. The annual UBC String Fest honours the memory of the Tierney family and celebrates the talent in the Music School’s String Division.
School of Music students may use practice rooms at no extra charge.
The practice facilities are of sufficient size and acoustic quality to fill the differing needs of its students; rooms are assigned to fit students' schedules.